Periodic Table and Periodicity
What is so special about it?
(a) Helps us to bring order into inorganic chemistry
(b) Concept of chemical periodicity
- Central to study of inorganic chemistry.
(c) It systematizes and rationalizes
- Chemical facts
- Predict new ones
- Suggest fruitful areas for further research
The properties of chemical elements are not arbitrary, but depend upon the electronic structure of the atom and vary with the atomic number in a systematic way.
Therefore: Periodic Table may be useful for
- the interpretation of the periodic law in terms of the electronic structure of atoms
- the systematization of trends in physical & chemical properties, and to detect possible errors, anomalies, & inconsistencies
- the prediction of new elements & compounds and to suggest new areas of research
NEXT (Building Up the Periodic Table: The Basis) >